A monthly box of sewing goodies, delivered to your door

Laura’s Kielo Jumpsuit

This month Laura received the Luxury box and used her Lady McElroy Leopard Rose viscose jersey to me a stunning Kielo Jumpsuit

Shocker! I made another wrap dress… kinda.

Now, obviously the Kielo wrap dress from Named Clothing is a classic pattern amongst the sewing community, but it seems that the jumpsuit variation didn’t really take off when it was released. And I don’t know why! It looks super comfy and flattering with the ties at the waist. It was added to my “to make” list, but I never got around to it.

I knew that it was my turn to get the 3.5 meters of luxury fabric this month, and it was going to be a jersey. And I knew immediately that it was time to make the Kielo jumpsuit!

The fabric is an amazing quality Lady McElroy viscose jersey. And I mean, the print… wowser! I probably would have never picked this out for myself, but I think that makes me love it even more. For some it’s a bit bold and “out there” (especially when worn head to toe) but hey, who gives a damn, right? I think it looks great and no-one else’s opinion matters.

It was the perfect fabric pairing for this jumpsuit that required something drapey but sturdy that wouldn’t over-stretch out of shape. I don’t usually sew with stretch fabrics, but this was the best one by far that I have worked with. Usually my biggest frustration with sewing jersey is the curly edges, but I didn’t have that problem at all, and it was just a real joy to sew.

The pattern does instruct using an overlocker, but I sewed the whole thing using the straight stretch stitch on my sewing machine and had no problems at all.

As recommended by the pattern, I chose my size based on my full bust measurement as there is plenty of ease on the bottom half, but it is important to get it right at the top where it is more fitted. I was a bit wary though as the pattern is drafted for someone who is 5’8”; I am 5’5”, so was looking to adjust it, but there were no shorten/lengthen lines on the pattern pieces.

Unsure how the pattern really came together at this point, I didn’t feel confident adding my own lines, so I just pressed ahead and cut it out as is and hoped for the best. The crotch does hang a little low on the finished garment so I will scoop that up a bit next time, but it’s not enough for me to alter this one.

I went for the sleeveless version so I could wear it in warmer weather, but easy to layer when it is cooler. The back features a long vent that finishes with a button closure at the neck. It says to use a piece of thin ribbon, but instead I used some thin elastic (I think it was ¼”) leftover from making face masks. I think that it holds the top closed better.

On the jumpsuit version, the neckline, back vent and armscyes are finished with a full facing which I don’t see often in jersey patterns. It gave a beautifully clean finish inside. For the first time I used knit interfacing, and my naivety led to melting a giant hole in it! I promptly used a scrap piece of cotton as a pressing cloth and lowered the heat on my iron and then it was fine. Sewists be warned!

The ties are also fully interfaced which gives them structure and they properly hold their shape when they’re wrapped around you which I think elevates the look that little bit more.

The whole piece came together really quickly and I really enjoyed sewing it up. The only fiddly bit is sewing the facing ends from the armscye to the bottom edge. I found it easier to cut a couple of slits where it bends and overlap them – I know this sounds odd but it makes sense when you’re making it!

Now that the lockdown is easing in the UK, this is going to look amazing dressed up with some sandals for summer BBQ’s.

In the meantime though, I will pretty much be living in it day-to-day as it is the perfect secret pyjamas attire!