New Look 6483

Does anyone else have a love/hate relationship with Netflix? I flippin' love it but when they bring out all the episodes of a new series in one go it's binge-watching time, and that is no good for any amount of productivity.

Hello Luke Cage!! Anyone else watching it? We may have been counting down the days until it came out, especially after getting into Daredevil earlier this year! I may have mentioned in an early blog post that I have become a bit of a Marvel geek. The movies are great but the TV shows are so much better. They are darker and grittier and I love that you really get to know the characters and their back stories.

I told you it was bad for productivity. This is supposed to be a post about sewing and I've just waffled on about a TV show. I blame the husband!

Aaanyway... I made a top!

If you recall a few posts back I had tried to make this top but was lazy and didn't properly finish my seams. Therefore it frayed beyond repair. But I learnt from my mistakes and today I am here to share my victory with you!

This New Look 6483 top says "1 hour" on the envelope.... oh how I chuckled. It takes me an hour just to figure out which pieces I need and cut them all out. I'm starting to think I shouldn't blame Netflix for low productivity, it seems I'm easily distracted!

So I decided to go for the T-shirt version now that we are heading into cooler weather. The only alteration I had to do was to grade in at the shoulders and out at the hips. I also scooped a little out of the neckline but I think I could have gone further with it. I'm glad I did though, I can barely fit my curls through the hole! Oh! I also did a big arm adjustment by following this tutorial by Curvy Sewing Collective. Very helpful.

Some of the instructions are a little bit hard to figure out. Particularly the neckline facing where it creates a little opening at the back. It can be hard sometimes when you read the instructions through to visualise how it will go, but trusting the process and a bit of fabric manipulation should get you there in the end. There should be a button and button loop at the top but I don't have button in my stash that goes so it'll just have to wait.

The other fiddly bit was creating a neat finish at the hem as the pattern include little splits in the side seam there. It's a great feature, where the top is made in a woven fabric those splits give an extra bit of space around the hips. The pattern tells you, in a round about way, to do a double fold hem. When you trim your seam allowance at the side seams I would recommend trimming from the underarm seam down to the top of the splits and then leaving the last few inches as they are. This will then make it a lot easier to turn under and create a double hem along those side splits.

Overall I'm really happy with this simple little top. The fabric I used was a lovely viscose rayon from Abakhan, it's really soft and has a gorgeous drape to it. I can see a few more of these being made in the future.

So now I've told you all about this top... I've got to get back to Luke Cage, he'll be missing me!

Previous Post Next Post